Great coaches do not only ask the right questions.
They ask questions in the right order!
Asking coaching questions – rather than telling – is the best way to mentally engage your coachee, but truth is. There are hundreds of great coaching questions which you can easily find online with a click of a button. So, is asking good questions that makes you a great coach? The answer is NO. What makes the magic in coaching is not just asking good questions. it is asking them in the right order with the right approach!
While coaches can choose to start at any one of the four stages of the GROW model, following the above order is preferred and can guarantee a higher rate for success in your coaching session.
Now, we understand that asking the right coaching questions is one of the most important building blocks of the GROW coaching model, hence. We share with you here 20 effective coaching questions that you can ask at your coaching session. Using the GROW model!
Goal Setting Questions
- What is the aim of this discussion?
- What outcome would you like from this session/discussion/interaction?
- What does success look like?
- What would be a milestone on the way?
- Will that be of real value to you?
- What is happening now? (what. where. when. who. how much. how often)?
- What have you done about this so far? -j How do you know that this is accurate?
- What other factors are relevant?
- Who is involved (directly and indirectly)?
- What approach/actions have you seen used, or used yourself, in similar circumstances?
- What possibilities for action you see?
- What could you do to change the situation?
- What if … ? (Time. power, money, etc.)
- What are the benefits and costs of each option?
We hope that by following the GROW model it will help you become a better coach, a coach who asks the powerful questions and gets the fantastic results desired!