Competencies Assessment for Directors and Executives
Sustaining competencies into behaviours
A leading Healthcare authority in the Middle East, has as a primary objective to ensure the safety of biological and chemical substances, as well as build awareness on all matters related to food, drug and medical devices. This authority was facing many challenges, both internally and externally, due to the fast-paced changes in the healthcare system. The management team was having a hard time harmonising their leadership competencies across all layers within the organisation, as well as synchronising all processes across business units. Thus, a need to assess the leadership competencies across the organisation surfaced.
TTM’s analysis of the client’s core requirements concluded that the leadership team needed to be assessed for development purposes. The assessment would be applied on VPs, Executives President, Directors, and Assistant Directors (about 200 people in total). The desired outcome for this phase was to discover the missing or the weak competencies and develop them.
The organisation did not have predefined desired competencies at the time. In order for the assessment to take place, TTM needed to determine desired competencies that will be used as benchmark.
Following the company’s request, the methodology had to include questionnaires, 360 surveys, case studies, interviews and an on‐line assessment with full documentation of the entire process.
TTM’s team agreed to the following outcomes to meet the client needs:
- Discover the Competencies Gaps of the target group of the project
- Ensure that the development activities match the true needs of the target group
- Safeguard that employees are being fully supported with skills, knowledge, and behaviours needed for mastering the tasks and responsibilities they are performing / assigned
- Contribute to the creation of a robust development plan
- Align the management team with the identified needs of their staff and ownership for that
- Motivate and Retain all staff
- Become an attractive organisation to recruit quality candidates
After taking the above into consideration, TTM divided this assignment into several stages:
– The organisation’s Values levels: Corporate Values to be used as a benchmark
– The organisation’s Competencies Level: TTM needed to develop sets of Competencies that are critical to the organisation’s Vision and Mission
TTM’s Methodology, process and approach:
TTM implemented a coherent working methodology based on a Phased approach that was approved by HR management to assess, develop, and deploy a structured approach to the Talent Development for the executive and managerial level as follows:
Phase 1: Diagnosis: Defining the Benchmark of the organisation’s Competencies
Define the desired and undesired behaviours and skills spectrum by interacting and defining the Company Competencies at the TOP management level and based on the organisation’s Core values, Vision and Strategy by considering the input from the following tools:
- THE WHOLE BRAIN TECHNOLGY approach
- Health care control and management Value Chain Analysis.
- One to one Semi structured interviews with the Senior Leadership.
- The organisation’s Structure analysis.
- Define the benchmark for each competency
- Assessment of the past and/current development activities process with the HR team
The following competencies were the conclusion of the diagnosis:
Using the whole brain technology approach, the profile above was used to map the Desired Leadership Profile of the VP level.
This profile was used as a benchmark for the design of the process to evaluate the CURRENT level of the various groups during the Development Centre.
In this image, three profiles are compared to each other.
The Black Shape represents the Ideal VP / SVP Profile.
The Red Shape represents the participant’s Current Competency profile as per the observed behaviours the participant has demonstrated.
The Green Shape represents the VP / SVP’s Group average Current Leadership Competency profile.
Phase 2: Design and Structure the Competencies Assessment of the target groups
Define the structure and deploy the relevant Process to:
- Assess the current Executive / Manager competencies against the benchmark criteria defined in phase 1.
2. Calibrate the results into defined developmental activities versus the desired benchmark criteria.
Phase 3: Development Activities deployed Per Layer (Executives, Directors and Managers)
- Integrate the new competencies, skills and behaviours into the various layers
- Train and build capacity of the HR and Internal Line managers to follow the process
- Design and develop the development program to enhance and grow the competencies of the various layers
The project created an organisation-wise chartered leadership, tailored to the needs of this prestigious and critical healthcare authority.
A comprehensive benchmark leadership profile and group profile were defined which TTM used, and the organisation can now use in the future to assess staff. Star performers were recognised and a talent pool was established for future leadership career advancement. TTM also created a development plan per group and for the individuals to close the competencies gap and match the desired leadership charter.
As a result, the organisation became more agile to cope with the changes in the healthcare environment and its leaders became more prepared to tackle complexities in the business environment.